We work to optimize the quality of life of oncologyc patients and their family:
- To Help the patient go through each chemotherapy session as best as possible.
- To Offer support, information and strategies to face the different stages of the illness.
- To Transform a passive wait into a shared and creative activity.
The programme “Where I want to be” takes advantage of the hospitalization, sharing with patients and caregivers the following techniques and activities as therapeutical resources:
- Artistic work/ Painting
- Relaxation and breathing
- Photographic register
- Group experience
It takes into account the following principles:
- To create an important focus of attention which enables the patient to handle concrete situations of anxiety, fear, tension, and pain.
- To get a great power of concentration: the patient focuses on a specific task, thus, leaving the medication aside.
- In this way patients and their activity are the main characters, leaving chemotherapy to go by as best as possible.
From the beginning of the programme we could prove that:
- A relaxation and deep breathing favoures the intravenous therapy and the progressive drip of the medication.
- We also observed that by focusing on the physical work and connecting with their bodies, patients can decrease their anxiety and calm down.
- Many patients stopped suffering from a burning sensation during the treatment by keeping focused on the activity of painting.
- At the same time, we noticed that the aches and pains in general decrease, while a higher tolerance to headaches and nausea is observed.
- Patients usually stay to finish their piece of work eventhough the chemotherapy session has finished. Lots of patients come back after their treatment is over.
- Art lessons while patients receive chemotherapy
- Art contests for patients and caregivers
- Annual exhibitions of the patients, caregivers, and graduates’ works of art at Hospital de Clínicas and Hospital Pacheco
- Support and group work
- Physical work
- Self esteem and photographic session
- Strengthening of the caregivers’ role
- Courses on Therapeutic creativity at Buenos Aires University
- Exhibitions of the patients’ work in places such as schools, museums, etc.
- We offer conferences and meetings to spread our therapeutical proposal.